Senior Communications Associate
Status and Location: Full-time, Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Chief of Staff
FLSA Salary Classification: Full-time Exempt
The Senior Communications Associate is a mission-driven professional who will manage PRRI’s communications and strategic engagement programs. This senior manager-level role entails working in tandem with the Research and Operations teams to disseminate PRRI’s research findings across targeted traditional earned-media and social-media channels, expand PRRI’s digital footprint, and oversee the organization’s engagement program for external stakeholders. The ideal candidate is a seasoned strategist with at least five years of experience in public relations, media relations, and strategic communications, preferably in the media or nonprofit sectors. The candidate must have a demonstrable track record of national media placements and defined social media execution, leading successful communications teams, and developing annual strategic communications plans. The candidate should also have experience collaborating with and managing an external communications firm. This is a full-time position with a hybrid working format (with two days a week in-office mandatory) and a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Manage a proactive earned- and digital-media strategy with the goal of expanding PRRI’s online presence on legacy and new social-media platforms, in addition to project managing the development of a new website
- Assist with developing and maintaining PRRI’s overall communications and brand strategy
- Supervise stakeholder engagement activities, including PRRI’s convening programs such as the PRRI Public Fellows, and public webinars and events
- Coordinate in-house editorial activities, including copyediting and content distribution, editorial calendars, and print production, while also supporting the Research team’s content-production process
- Supervise two full-time communications associates and manage external communications consultants
- At least five years of full-time experience in public relations, media relations, marketing communications, or strategic communications
- Prior experience developing and managing strategic communications plans, implementing stakeholder engagement programs, and supervising a team of communications professionals
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or related field
- Strong creative, strategic, organizational, and leadership abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including mastery of AP style
- Experience using content management systems, email marketing platforms, social media, and analytics platforms including Google; familiarity with WordPress and quantitative survey research is preferred but not required
PRRI (Public Religion Research Institute), founded in 2009, is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to conducting independent research at the intersection of religion, culture, and public policy. PRRI research explores and illuminates America’s changing cultural, religious, and political landscape. The organization’s mission is to help journalists, scholars, thought leaders, clergy, and the general public better understand debates on public policy issues, and the important cultural and religious dynamics shaping American society and politics.
Instructions for Applying:
Applications will be accepted until January 13, 2023, or until the position is filled. Applications will only be accepted via Idealist.org. Please upload a cover letter detailing how your experience fits this opportunity, along with your resume, three professional references, and three to five recent examples of earned media, including placements and opinion pieces in national and trade publications that you secured for your organization or client. Incomplete applications will not be considered. PRRI offers a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience. No calls or agency inquiries, please.
PRRI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and other members of under-represented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.