Title: Research Director
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
FLSA Salary Classification: Full time; Exempt
The Research Director (RD) provides oversight, management, and leadership to a growing research department. The RD oversees all phases of research including overall project conception, sampling and questionnaire design, data collection, analysis, and reporting. The RD manages multiple projects, budgets exceeding $1m, and a growing research team. The RD serves as an on-the-record spokesperson for PRRI and writes for external audiences. The RD serves as a member of the senior leadership team and reports to the CEO.
- Directs and manages the administrative and programmatic resources of the research department. Oversees the implementation of systems, policies, and procedures that assist research department staff in completing a scope of work on time and within budget.
- Initiates strategic planning and goal setting for future research, administrative structure, technology needs, and growth.
- Hires, trains, and supervises research department staff. Sets performance expectations, provides support, coaches, and mentors staff.
- Serves as a member of the PRRI senior leadership team. Provides input to organizational vision and planning and carries out the decisions and directives of the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Serves as on the record spokesperson at events and in the media. Writes articles for external publication and analyses for the PRRI blog.
- Participates in the publication and presentation of research papers at national meetings such as AAPOR and APSA.
Qualifications and Core Competencies
- Ph.D. in political science, sociology, or related field
- Minimum ten years of experience as a quantitative principal researcher and team manager
- Experience managing multiple projects and team members
- Exceptional time management, project management, and organizational skills
- Strategic thinker; achievement and results driven
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrates sound judgment and strong decision-making skills
PRRI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization with a fast-paced work environment. PRRI conducts over 60,000 interviews in probability-based public opinion surveys each year. Since our founding in 2009, PRRI has established itself as a leading provider of high-quality, independent survey research on cultural change, religion, and politics. PRRI is an equal employment opportunity employer. Please visit our website for more information at http://prri.org.
Instructions for Applying:
Applications will be received until March 1, 2019, or until the position is filled. Please send cover letter, resume, and three professional references in a single PDF document to
firstname.lastname@example.org. PRRI offers a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience. Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply. No inquiries, please.
PRRI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, and other members of under-represented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.